I adore a stuffed mushroom. It seems like such an elevated appetizer, but it’s quite approachable. And it involves the use of cream cheese, which is almost always a guarantee of deliciousness.
They are also incredibly versatile. I was feeling chorizo when I came up with this recipe for Keto Chorizo Stuffed Mushrooms. Chorizo has such a lively, bold flavor that using it as a stuffed mushroom filling means your seasoning is done for you. I recommend using a high-quality chorizo – I picked my chorizo up locally from an Eastern European Deli called Kramarczuk’s.
How Do I Make Stuffed Mushrooms Low Carb or Keto Friendly?
Many stuffed mushroom recipes call for the use of breadcrumbs, which is a no-go if you are following a keto or low carb diet. I swap out the breadcrumbs for crushed pecans, but walnuts would also be a good option. You don’t need to subscribe to any kind of diet to appreciate how delicious these Keto Chorizo Stuffed Mushrooms are, for reals.
What is the secret to perfectly cooked stuffed mushrooms?
I’ve tried many a stuffed mushroom recipe, and if a recipe promises perfectly cooked mushrooms without instructing you do to this one thing you’ll be disappointed with the results.
You MUST microwave steam your ‘shrooms. Say what now!? The key to perfectly baked stuffed mushrooms is you have to steam them in the microwave first. This softens them up and speeds up the baking process. If a recipe tells you that you only need to bake your stuffed mushrooms for 10 minutes (no pre-streaming instructed), you’re going to be cooking those bastards for a half-hour until they are finally done. And by then your filling will be overcooked. And you’ll be hangry and wishing you could have the last hour of your life back.
Do not skip the pre-microwave steam step! Arrange your mushrooms on a plate, leaving space between each cap. I recommend doing this by size, as larger mushrooms will require a longer steaming time. Cover with three layers of damp paper towels, then microwave for around 2 minutes for smaller mushrooms, 3 minutes for larger mushrooms. Do this and you’re stuffed mushrooms will turn out fantastic every time.
What do I need to make Keto Chorizo Stuffed Mushrooms?
Why just a handful of ingredients will do!
- Cream cheese
- Cheddar cheese
Stuffed Mushroom Suggested Substitutions
The above-mentioned ingredients are what my Keto Chorizo Stuffed Mushrooms recipe calls for, but you could also use:
- Pepper jack or other good melting cheese
- Ground beef, seasoned to your liking
- Walnuts or almonds
Remember, recipes are only guidelines :).
If you like this, give these recipes a try:
Keto Chorizo Stuffed Mushrooms
- Baking sheet
- 1 16-ounce package stuffing mushrooms
- 1/2 pound chorizo good quality
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese room temperature
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese grate it!
- 1/4 cup crushed salted and roasted pecans
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cook the chorizo and garlic (optional) in a pan over medium heat, for 5-7 minutes, until fully cooked. Strain the chorizo over paper towels to remove the excess grease. Set aside.
- Remove the stems from each mushroom and wipe any dirt away with a paper towel. Separate mushrooms into two groups, by size. This will ensure that the mushrooms get the proper amount of steaming time in the microwave before baking.
- Arrange the smaller mushrooms on a plate, cap side down (gill side up), and cover with three layers of damp paper towels. Microwave for 2 minutes. Remove and place upside down to let any excess water drain off.
- Arrange the large mushrooms on a plate, cap side down (gill side up), and cover with three layers of damp paper towels. Microwave for 3 minutes. Remove and place upside down to let any excess water drain off.
- Add cream cheese and pecans to a bowl and mix until well combined. Add the strained chorizo and mix until well combined.
- Take a bit of the cream cheese mixture and add it to each mushroom cap. I like to add a generous amount and stuff each mushroom by hand.
- Bake for 10 minutes, middle rack of oven.
- Remove from oven. Increase oven temperature to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Add a pinch of shredded cheese to each stuffed mushroom.
- Put back in the oven on the top rack for 3-4 minutes, until cheese has just melted. Let cool for 2 minutes.