These Chocolate-Drizzled Rice Krispie treats are doctored up to taste like churros and finished with a chocolate drizzle!
“I’m too old for Rice Krispie treats.” Said no one, ever.
I’m never pissed when someone offers me a Rice Krispie treat. And after taking a bite my immediate thought is always, what the hell is wrong with me for forgetting these exist? I should go home and make a batch immediately so I won’t be judged for eating all of (name of incredibly generous person)’s Rice Krispie treats.
I usually stick to the original recipe… plus a teaspoon of vanilla extract, always.
BUT. In the spirit of Midwexican-ness, I thought – *self * – why not churro flavored Rice Krispie treats?
For me, the key is adding cinnamon to the butter and marshmallow mixture, so that each bite reminds you of a churro. And let’s not forget the chocolate! Because what’s the point of a churro without chocolate? And for these Churro Rice Krispie treats, it’s all about that chocolate drizzle. Chocolate drizzle-my-nizzle, fo-shizzle.
I also like to incorporate chocolate INTO the treats, using Taza Chocolate Mexicano. Because the only thing better than chocolate is more chocolate. AmIright!?
Taza Chocolate Mexicano is unlike any other chocolate I’ve ever eaten. It’s rich, not overly sweet, and has an interesting texture (interesting in a good way, not Minnesota nice for I don’t like it and can’t think of any other neutral descriptor). It’s got this graininess to it that I love. It reminds me of a good aged gouda, mmmm….
I highly recommend you whip out your credit card and order this Chocolate Disc Sampler. It comes with a variety of flavors, all of which are great for nibbling and make bitchin’ hot chocolate (affiliate link).
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 (10 ounce) bag of JET-PUFFED Marshmallows or 4 cups JET-PUFFED Miniature Marshmallows
- 6 cups Kellogg's® Rice Krispie® cereal
- 1 disc (cinnamon-flavored) Taza Chocolate, finely chopped (optional)
- Chocolate drizzle
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips (I used Nestle dark chocolate morsels)
- 1 pat butter
- Melt butter over low heat in a large pot. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. This will take a few minutes. Be patient, it’s worth it.
- Add vanilla extract, brown sugar, salt, and cinnamon. Stir until combined.
- Add Rice Krispies cereal. Stir until well coated with marshmallow deliciousness.
- Add finely chopped chocolate. Stir until just combined.
- Grease a 9x13 pan (I spray the pan with Pam).
- Pour Churro Rice Krispie mixture into the pan. Press into an even layer.
- Microwave dark chocolate chips and pat of butter, until completely melted, stopping to stir frequently. Use a spoon to haphazardly drizzle chocolate over Churro Rice Krispie treats.
- Put chocolate-drizzled Churro Rice Krispie treats in the fridge for around a half hour to set chocolate.
- Remove from fridge and cut into squares. Eat.