Cheddar Bay Chorizo Balls (with Jalapeno!) are the best way to heat up this holiday season with an appetizer that is not only supremely comforting, but refreshingly zesty.
There are approximately 14,731 different recipes for sausage balls on the Internet, so I figured I’d toss my variation into the mix and make it 14,732.
My Cheddar Bay Chorizo Balls with Jalapeno add a spicy twist to the basic recipe, kicking it up with chorizo, Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuit Mix, pepper jack cheese, and pickled jalapenos. Like the basic recipe (which consists of Italian sausage, biscuit baking mix, and cheddar cheese), these Cheddar Bay Chorizo Balls with Jalapeno are stupid easy to make, but WAY more flavorful.
For those not in the know, Red Lobster’s famous Cheddar Bay Biscuits – aka 95% of the reason to set foot in a Red Lobster – can be had in the comfort of your own home. I was super stoked when Red Lobster came out with a make at home Cheddar Bay Biscuit Mix because (1) delicious cheddar biscuits made at home for the win!, (2), and because it amps up the flavor of these Chorizo Balls more than plain old biscuit baking mix ever could (link is an affiliate).
Bust out your food processor to make mixing the Cheddar Bay Chorizo Balls a breeze. Simply pulse the chorizo, Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuit Mix, and pickled jalapenos for 15-20 seconds, until it looks like this.
Then add the cheese and pulse for another 15-20 seconds, until well combined. Form into balls like so….
Then bake! In 24-26 minutes, you’ll have a piping hot appetizer your friends and family will be drooling over.
Cheddar Bay Chorizo Balls are what I would refer to as a ‘hefty’ appetizer, in that they are insanely comforting. You can serve them plain or with any number of dipping sauces from tried and true Ranch dressing to this Chipotle and Roasted Garlic Mayo or lighten it up with this Roasted Garlic Chimichurri.
- ½ pound pork chorizo* (I used Cub’s store brand)
- 2 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1 cup Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuit Mix
- ¼ cup sliced pickled jalapenos
- (Optional) dipping sauce of choice**
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Put parchment paper on a baking sheet (for easy cleanup!).
- Add the pork chorizo, Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuit Mix, and sliced pickled jalapenos to a food processor.
- Pulse for 15-20 seconds, until combined.
- Add the shredded pepper jack cheese.
- Pulse for another 15-20 seconds, until combined.
- Use a tablespoon, overfilling it slightly, as a guide to help you achieve uniform balls.***
- Roll the mixture between your hands to form round balls.
- Arrange balls on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 24-26 minutes.
- Remove from oven and immediately place on a cooling rack (so that any excess grease can drain off).
- Serve the Cheddar Bay Chorizo Balls on their own or with a dipping sauce of your choice.
- If there are any leftovers, store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. To reheat, wrap a few balls in a paper towel and reheat in the microwave for 20-30 seconds.
**The pictured dipping sauce is Fiery Chipotle Gourmaise by Boar’s Head.
***Using a tablespoon will result in good sized Cheddar Bay Chorizo Balls - I usually get 18 from this recipe. If you prefer a smaller size, go for it! But make sure you check them around 18-20 minutes of baking so they don't overcook.