Taco Cucumber Bites are easy, keto-friendly snacks that add a Tex-Mex twist to the humble cucumber.
Cucumbers are the “chips” of healthy snacking. I happily mow through slices of fresh cucumber like I rampage through a bag of potato chips. Okay, admittedly this depends on my snacking mood. Because one of these things is obviously not like the other.
But for real-real, I do try to snack healthily, and cucumbers are the perfect way to go. You can sprinkle a little seasoning on them (Trader Joe’s Everything but the Bagel seasoning is life-changing on cukes), dunk ‘em in dip, or top ‘em off.
Inspired by all of those adorable little cucumber bites that keep appearing in my Pinterest feed, I decided Taco Cucumber Bites needed to be added to my snacking rotation. You only need four simple ingredients for the creamy taco topping – sour cream, cream cheese, taco seasoning, and a few dashes of hot sauce of your choosing. These are staples in my house.
After whipping that up and piping the taco topping on your cucumber slices, the garnishes are up to you. I went with sliced black olives and sliced pickled jalapenos, sprinkled with red pepper flakes for additional pops of heat. But you could also sprinkle on some shredded cheese or top with cute little cherry tomato wedges.
Get your healthy-ish snack on. Here’s how you make ‘em.
- 1 seedless cucumber
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 4 ounces (1/2 package) cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning (I used Ortega)
- 4-5 dashes hot sauce (I used Tabasco)
- Sliced black olives (optional, for garnish)
- Sliced pickled jalapenos (optional, for garnish)
- Red pepper flakes (optional, for garnish)
- Let the cream cheese come to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, cut the cucumber into ¼” slices and lay them on a paper towel.* When you’re finished slicing, put a paper towel over the top of the cucumber slices to soak up excess moisture. I do this for about 10 minutes.
- Combine sour cream, cream cheese, taco seasoning, and hot sauce in a bowl. Mix until smooth, creamy and free of lumps. A hand mixer works quickly and effectively here.
- Put the taco topping in a sandwich bag and seal. Cut the tip of the bag and pipe the topping onto each slice of cucumber.
- Garnish! I chose to put three slices of black olive on a few, and a single pickled jalapeno slice on others.
- Eat! You can prepare these a few hours ahead of serving, but these are best eaten the same day they were prepared.