This creamy green sauce is a bold punch in the taste buds, with zesty jalapeno and vibrant spring onion leading the flavor charge. Use it as a dip with crackers and chips or drizzle it over roasted proteins and vegetables.
As a self-professed condiment Queen, sauces are my jam. Every so often, I come across a sauce when dining at a restaurant that is so good it haunts my taste buds. The green sauce at Brasa is one of those sauces.
It’s fresh and herbaceous and seriously addicting - and inspirational. This creamy green sauce (with jalapeno and spring onion) was inspired by that sauce. My version amplifies the heat and tags in spring onion (green onion) which adds a bright astringency. It’s a bold, beautiful sauce that has a wide variety of uses. My favorite applications include tortilla chip dipping, sandwich spreading, and taco topping.
Specifically, this spring onion green sauce is fantastic paired with Dr. Pepper Carnitas, Grilled Chicken Quesadillas, Air Fryer Tacos, Grilled Ranch Chicken, Doritos Walking Tacos, Easy Mexican Beef Tips, and Air Fryer Nachos. If you’d like to try Brasa’s green sauce I believe this to be the recipe, thanks to my Mom’s internet sleuthing. It’s awesome!
To make this creamy green sauce, you will need the following ingredients.
- jalapeños, seeded and coarsely chopped
- garlic clove, smashed
- spring onions (including green tops)
- lime juice, fresh squeezed
- cream cheese
- parsley (or cilantro), finely chopped
- salt (optional, to taste)
See recipe card below for quantities.
Add jalapenos, garlic, spring onions (including green tops), lime juice, water, cream cheese, and parsley to a blender or food processor.
Puree for 30 seconds, until smooth.
Scrape down the sides and puree again for another 10 seconds.
Taste. If necessary, add salt, to taste. Makes a little over 2 cups of sauce.
If you prefer a thinner sauce, add more water, one teaspoon at a time.
Refrigerate until ready to use.
Hint: Let the spring onion sauce rest in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours to let the flavors meld; I find that the spiciness intensifies slightly and the onion flavor mellows a bit over time.
In a pinch or if preferred, you can make a few smart substitutions to this jalapeno green sauce.
- Jalapeno - I love fresh here because of the earthiness they add, but canned work well too! Try using 1 4-ounce can diced jalapenos (liquid included) instead of fresh, and reduce water to ¼ cup.
- Onion - Swap in 3 tablespoons of finely minced white or yellow onion instead of using spring onions if you prefer.
- Cream cheese - This is a vegetarian-friendly sauce, but if you’d like to make it vegan-friendly, try using plant-based cream cheese instead. Note: I have not tested this with plant-based cream cheese.
There are a few fun variations you can make to this spring onion sauce to make it your own. Here are my suggestions:
- Add in some avocado! Adding half of an avocado adds a lovely creaminess, but you’ll want to use it within 2 days for the best results.
- If you want to lighten things up, go ahead and use a cream cheese with ⅓ less fat.
Store the spring onion sauce in a lidded container in the refrigerator. Good for 2-3 days.
Use the freshest ingredients available.
The green sauce thickens up in the refrigerator, so take it out 15 minutes before serving to loosen up and/or add in a little bit of water to thin it out.
Give the sauce a good stir before serving.
Creamy Green Sauce (with Jalapeno and Spring Onion)
- 3 large jalapeños, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, smashed
- 4 spring onions (including green tops)
- 1 ½ tablespoons lime juice, fresh-squeezed
- ¼ cup water + 2 tablespoons
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese
- ¼ cup parsley (or cilantro), finely chopped
- salt (to taste)
- Add jalapenos, garlic, spring onions, lime juice, water, cream cheese, and parsley to a blender or food processor.
- Puree for 30 seconds, until smooth. Scrape down the sides and puree again for another 10 seconds.
- Taste. If necessary, add salt, to taste. Makes a little over 2 cups of sauce.
- If you prefer a thinner sauce, add more water, one teaspoon at a time.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
Leave a Reply