Coconut Rice Krispie Treats are perfect for coconut-crazy confectionistas. Coconut is added THREE ways, guaranteeing every bite is crisp coconut perfection.
The best desserts have coconut in them.
For some the best desserts have chocolate. For others, it’s salted caramel. But for me, it’s coconut all the way.
When I want a coconut-forward dessert - and quickly - Coconut Rice Krispie Treats are a solid (and satisfying!) choice. Plus they fit my preferred baking style: avoiding it whenever possible.
Achieving a coconutty outcome can be as simple as adding shredded coconut flakes to the OG recipe found on the back of a box of Rice Krispie cereal. But these Coconut Rice Krispie Treats ensure the coconut is present in every bite because the flavor is introduced in THREE ways.
Coconut oil and coconut extract infuse melted marshmallows (aka the glue that holds the treats together) with coconut goodness. I prefer to pulverize coconut flakes with a spice grinder into a coconut powder. This aids in evenly dispersing the coconut flavor throughout the cubed confections.
All you need are six ingredients to set yourself up for satisfying coconut cravings:
- Rice Krispie cereal
- Coconut extract
- Coconut oil
- Shredded coconut (I highly recommend Bob's Red Mill Unsweetened Coconut Flakes *affiliate link*)
If you have any dietary restrictions that make butter a no-go, leave it out! You can replace it with an equal amount of coconut oil.
So go ahead. Get coconut crazy.
If you like this, you might also like:
Coconut Rice Krispie Treats
- Large stovetop pot
- 9x9 or 9X13 pan
- Add 2 tablespoons of butter and 2 tablespoons of coconut oil to a large stovetop pot over medium-low heat.
- Once melted, add 1 teaspoon coconut extract and the marshmallows. Stir.
- Melt marshmallows over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Line a 9x9 or 9x13 pan with wax paper.*
- Add coconut flakes to a spice grinder and grind for 10-15 seconds, until the flakes reach a powder-like consistency.
- Once the marshmallows have melted, add 6 cups Rice Krispie cereal and the ground coconut flakes. Stir quickly and furiously until the Rice Krispie cereal is well coated.
- Pour the Coconut Rice Krispie Treats into the pan, pushing down with a rubber scraper until they are uniform in height across the pan. Let cool.
- Once cooled off and set, remove the Coconut Rice Krispie Treats from the pan by pulling up on the sides of the wax paper.
- Set on a cutting board and cut into desired sizes.