These hearty Chorizo Breakfast Tacos are brightened up with a tart and refreshing Apple Radish Slaw.
“I love the little tacos, I love them good!” Gir, Invader Zim
Me too, Gir. Me too. How great were the cartoons on Nickelodeon in the late ‘90s/early 2000s? AmIright!?
And how great are tacos? Like Gir, my love for tacos is strong. I could eat tacos every day, at every meal. And I highly encourage you to do the same.
Move over Wheaties, because these Chorizo Breakfast Tacos with Apple Radish Slaw are the true breakfast of champions. The base of these tacos consists of just four ingredients: pork chorizo, eggs, tortillas, cotija cheese. If you need to have a hurried breakfast of champions, you could quickly toss those four ingredients together. But if you have time to slow your roll and savor the morning, take a few minutes to make the Apple Radish Slaw. It brightens up the tacos, cutting through the rich chorizo and adding complex layers of sweet, heat, and acid.
I used a surprisingly not-puckery crab apple for this slaw, but I think you can probably use just about whatever apple variety strikes your fancy. Except for Red Delicious. I forbid you from using that sorry excuse for an apple in this slaw.
Julienne the apple and radish for a pretty presentation and agreeable bites. My secret to achieving perfectly julienned fruits and vegetables is this handy grate and slice set from OXO (affiliate link, click the image below to check it out).
I’ve owned this set for six years and the julienne slicer is one of my favorite things. I use it all the time. Just make sure you take advantage of the food holder that comes with it to avoid shredding the bejesus out of your fingertips. After six years of use, that bitch is still sharp as hell. Ask me how I know.
I like to start by making the Apple Radish Slaw so the flavors have some time to meld. Then I move on to cooking the chorizo. Once fully cooked, I strain the chorizo over paper towels while scrambling the eggs. Leaving the eggs for last ensures you serve them up as hot and fresh as possible.
This is one hearty, well-rounded breakfast and I’m stoked for you to try it. Because I know you will love these little breakfast tacos as much as I do.
If you love these little tacos, you might also like:
Chorizo Breakfast Tacos with Apple Radish Slaw
- 1 pound pork chorizo cooked and strained in paper towels*
- 8 large eggs scrambled**
- 12 tortillas, taqueria style aka street tortillas***
- Cotija or feta cheese for garnish
Apple Radish Slaw
- 1 medium-sized crab apple, julienned
- 3 large radishes, julienned
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4-5 dashes hot sauce I used classic Tabasco
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Apple Radish Slaw Assembly
- Add 3 tablespoons lime juice, 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 4-5 dashes of hot sauce, and a few dashes each of salt and pepper to a bowl.
- Whisk for 20 seconds to combine.
- Add the julienned apple and radish and the thinly sliced green onion to the bowl. Stir until combined.
- Taste. Add more salt and pepper if necessary.
Chorizo Breakfast Taco Assembly
- Put a tortilla on a plate. Add chorizo, followed by scrambled egg, followed by apple radish slaw, and top with cotija or feta cheese.