A creative, semi-homemade snack that gets you pizza quicker than any delivery or frozen pizza possibly could, Air Fryer Tortilla Pizza (or Tortizza) cooks up in just 8 minutes!
Air Fryer Tortilla Pizza is incredibly uncomplicated. Make them once and you’ll be able to remember the basic recipe, because it all comes down to a basic ratio of ingredients that you can adjust to suit your preferences.
It’s as easy as taking a large flour tortilla, brushing with a thin layer of olive oil and air frying for a few minutes to firm up the crust. Once pre-cooked, the tortilla is slathered with a thin layer of tomato sauce, toppings of choice, and shredded cheese. Freshly grated cheese is recommended over bagged pre-shredded cheese, but you do you.
The toppings are up to you! Maybe you want to keep it simple and have a cheese Tortizza; or maybe you want to toss on some pepperoni or green olives. Customize however you like for a simple snack you can hit repeat on, and mix it up each time.
What is a Tortizza?
It’s what happens when you swap pizza crust for a tortilla! Also known as Tortilla Pizza, a Tortizza is made with a large flour tortilla as the crust, slathered with a thin layer of tomato sauce, and sprinkled with shredded cheese. Toppings are optional, and can include diced bell pepper, pepperoni, or more cheese!
How do you Make Air Fryer Tortilla Pizza?
You only need a few basic ingredients to make these homemade tortilla pizzas - just three in fact for a quick, semi-homemade snack! Large tortillas, jarred tomato or marinara sauce, and shredded cheese are all you need to get started.
This tortilla pizza recipe follows a simple ratio of ingredients per tortilla. And of course it’s dealer’s choice when it comes to toppings! Just make sure to be a little reserved when applying the toppings. Less is more here as this is meant to be a light snack! And you don’t want to overwhelm the tortilla with toppings; it’ll make it hard to pick up.
- Large tortillas (burrito size) - as many as you’d like to make!
- Olive oil - for lighting brushing the tortilla and encouraging a crisp crust
- Jar of your favorite tomato or marinara sauce - 3 tablespoons of sauce per tortilla
- ½ cup shredded cheese per tortilla - choose a good melting cheese like cheddar
- Toppings of your choice, like thinly sliced red onion, sliced olives (black or green), pepperoni, or bacon bits
- Cooking spray - so the tortilla doesn't stick to your air fryer basket or baking sheet
*I think these tortizzas are best with 2 ingredients max.
Tortizza Assembly Instructions
Spritz the bottom of a baking sheet or your air fryer basket with cooking spray.
Add the tortilla to the greased baking sheet and brush the tortilla with olive oil. Air fry the tortilla by itself at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 4 ½ - 5 minutes.
Remove from the air fryer and spoon 3 tablespoons of marinara sauce onto the tortilla, spreading evenly.
Add any toppings you wish, but remember that less is more here!
Sprinkle ½ cup cheese evenly on top. Resume air frying at 425 for 3 - 4 minutes, until the cheese has melted and you have visibly browned and crisp tortilla edges.
Remove the tortizza from the air fryer and place on a cutting board. Slice and enjoy!
Hint: Don’t skip the pre-air-frying of the tortilla before adding the sauce, toppings, and cheese. It makes the thin tortilla base sturdier and less soggy than building the tortizza on a raw tortilla.
Substitutions & Topping Suggestions for Air Fryer Tortilla Pizza
- Tortillas – I think flour tortillas (burrito size) work the best, but you can also use whole wheat or low-carb tortillas.
- Olive oil – You can use pretty much any neutral oil you’d like; canola oil, vegetable oil, etc.
- Sauce – If you want to push the easy button, use a jarred sauce: tomato sauce, marinara sauce, pesto sauce, bbq sauce, olive oil…or any other bake-friendly spread you find in your fridge or pantry.
- Cheese – Any good melting cheese is what you want here. Mozzarella, cheddar, Colby jack, etc. Use one kind of cheese or more!
- Toppings – Thinly sliced red onion, sliced olives (black or green), diced bell pepper (green or red), sliced jalapenos, pickled banana peppers, pepperoni, sausage, bacon bits, and Canadian bacon are all great tortizza toppings. You should also consider fresh herbs like basil or thyme.
This is the style of air fryer I own, use, and love! But this Air Fryer Tortizza Pizza can be made with basket-style air fryers too!
What do I do with Leftover Tortizza?
Is this a legitimate question? I’m confident you won’t have any leftovers!
If you do happen to have leftover tortizza and don’t want it to go to waste, I would recommend “dissolving” the leftovers into a soup - like chicken tortilla. Or chop it up and fold into scrambled eggs or an omelet and serve it with salsa. Sort of like migas with leftover tortizza.
If you want a chance in hell of being able to pick up and eat your slice of Tortizza, you MUST air fry the tortilla on its own first. It gives the tortilla a chance to crisp up slightly so that it can hold up to the sauce.
Air Fryer Tortilla Pizza
- 1 Large tortilla (burrito size)
- Cooking spray
- Olive oil
- 3 tablespoons Tomato or marinara sauce (3 tablespoons of sauce per tortilla)
- ½ cup Cheese, shredded (½ cup shredded cheese per tortilla)
- Toppings of your choice, like thinly sliced red onion, sliced olives (black or green), pepperoni, or bacon bits (I think these tortizzas are best with 2 ingredients max)
- Spritz the bottom of a baking sheet or your air fryer basket with cooking spray.Cooking spray
- Add the tortilla to the greased baking sheet and brush the tortilla with olive oil. Air fry the tortilla by itself at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 4 ½ - 5 minutes.1 Large tortilla, Olive oil
- Remove from the air fryer and spoon 3 tablespoons of marinara sauce onto the tortilla, spreading evenly.3 tablespoons Tomato or marinara sauce
- Add any toppings you wish, but remember that less is more here!Toppings of your choice, like thinly sliced red onion, sliced olives (black or green), pepperoni, or bacon bits
- Sprinkle ½ cup cheese evenly on top.½ cup Cheese, shredded
- Resume air frying at 425 for 3 - 4 minutes, until the cheese has melted and you have visibly browned and crisp tortilla edges.
- Remove the tortizza from the air fryer and place on a cutting board. Slice and enjoy!